Be Aware of Security Flaws During Your Next Video Call
While “zoombombing” poses a threat to those who are using the platform Zoom to work remotely, there are ways users can protect themselves.
Intruders are reportedly hijacking some video calls and posting hate speech and offensive images, such as pornography, during video meetings. That has prompted the FBI to warn about security glitches, including the potential for hackers to spy through a computer’s webcam or microphone.
Zoom has become increasingly popular as more Americans work from home. In March, Zoom says 200 million people used its app on a daily basis, up from 10 million in December.
On April 4, Zoom enabled new security settings that require a password for personal meeting IDs. Passwords are also now required when scheduling new meetings and webinars, instant meetings, and for participants joining by phone.
A recent Forbes article outlines key ways Zoom users can improve their security.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Zoom installed, because the company has been adding new security updates. It’s also a good idea to make sure your operating system and browser are up to date.
- “Never share the link or meeting ID on public platforms and try not to use the personal meeting ID–instead allow Zoom to generate a random ID for each meeting,” Jake Moore, cybersecurity specialist at ESET, told Forbes.
- Don’t share your meeting passwords publicly. Security researcher Sean Wright told Forbes that users should enable two-factor authentication for signing in.
- For smaller group meetings, Zoom’s waiting room feature is an option, allowing hosts to screen everyone entering the meeting.
- Users can also set parameters, such as allowing only the host to share their screen and disabling the file transfer feature.
- Always scrutinize emails with links that purport to link to Zoom, because phishing scams may cause people to inadvertently download malware. “If users are ever suspicious, they should copy just the ID from the link provided and enter it in the official application to join,” Moore says.
Zoom has been increasing its security measures in response to concerns. It published a guide on how users can protect their meetings.
Zoom CEO Eric Yuan wrote in a blog post last week that the company is delaying working on new features so it can focus on fixing privacy and security problems. “We recognize that we have fallen short of the community’s—and our own—privacy and security expectations,” Yuan wrote. “For that, I am deeply sorry, and I want to share what we are doing about it.” Read his blog post.
Source: “A Must for Millions, Zoom Has a Dark Side—and an FBI Warning,” NPR (April 3, 2020); “Use Zoom? Here Are 7 Essential Steps You Can Take To Secure It,” Forbes (April 3, 2020)
I read this article HERE
Got Real Estate Questions? The Caton Team is here to help.
We strive to be more than just Realtors – we are also your home resource. If you have any real estate questions, concerns, need a referral or some guidance – we are here for you. Contact us at your convenience – we are but a call, text or click away!
The Caton Team believes, in order to be successful in the San Fransisco | Peninsula | Bay Area | Silicon Valley Real Estate Market we have to think and act differently. We do this by positioning our clients in the strongest light, representing them with the utmost integrity, while strategically maneuvering through negotiations and contracts. Together we make dreams come true. How can The Caton Team help you?
A mother and daughter-in-law team with over 35 years of combined, local Real Estate experience and knowledge – would’t you like The Caton Team to represent you? Let us know how we can be of service. Contact us any time.
Call | Text | Sabrina 650.799.4333 | Susan 650.796.0654
Email | Info@TheCatonTeam.com
The Caton Team – Susan & Sabrina
A Family of Realtors
Effective. Efficient. Responsive.
What can we do for you?
Want Real Estate Info on the Go? Download our FREE Real Estate App: Mobile Real Estate by The Caton Team
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices – Drysdale Properties
DRE # |Sabrina 01413526 | Susan 01238225 | Team 70000218 |Office 01499008
The Caton Team does not receive compensation for any posts. Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Third party information not verified.