With a homeowner’s maintenance log you can keep track of maintenance and repair details about your home as well as improvements, updates, and upgrades you make over the years. You can store appliance and system manuals and instructions, warranties, and other resources, like where to shut off utilities.
To create your own home maintenance log, first collect and organize important materials in a binder or expandable folder. Add pockets or sleeves to organize receipts, manuals, floorplans, warranties, and so on. If you prefer a paperless version, you’ll need to take time to scan all these documents. Microsoft Excel has a great Home Maintenance Schedule template that is easy to customize and update.
What to include:
- Manuals and warranties – File home system and appliance instructions, maintenance records, and home warranty information. If you have a home warranty, keep a copy of the contract in the binder.
- Maintenance receipts and contact information
- Keep receipts and contact information from service providers such as: carpet cleaners, HVAC, garage door opener repair, chimney sweep, gutter repair, roof inspection/repair, solar panel cleaning, and more.
- If you have a home warranty plan for your systems and appliances, include service call information, repairs, and all contact information.
- List previously used service providers that you would recommend, such as painters, yard service, and pest control.
- Homeowner maintenance records – It can be easy to lose track of when you last performed maintenance so be sure to keep records of gutter cleaning/repair, painting, repairing decks and walkways, HVAC filter replacements, sprinkler systems, and window cleaning, including slides and screens.
- Home improvements
- Keep track of interior improvements including overhead lighting, fans, smart thermostats, storage systems, and dimmer switches, as well as low flow toilets and showerheads. Be sure to include information about refinishing/replacing of floors or cabinets.
- Record exterior improvements such as landscaping and sprinkler systems, exterior lighting, solar panels, window upgrades, pool resurfacing, fencing, decks, tree removal, and so on.
- Include specifics – When you paint, record the brand and color formula in your maintenance log. If your replace the roof, keep track of the type of material, color, manufacturer, and warranty info.
- Maps and resources – Record the location of shutoffs for the main water, gas, and electrical, as well as the electrical panel. If your home is on a well and/or septic system, map the well, septic tanks, and leach field/lines. Include location of solar panel control/displays and sprinkler junction box.
- Neighborhood information – Include information on HOA guidelines and fees and how to contact your Homeowners’ Association, if applicable.
A Great Selling Tool
When it comes time to sell your home, your home maintenance log is also a valuable reference that demonstrates how well you’ve cared for your home. Providing this kind of comprehensive record can really inspire confidence for the buyer who wants to purchase your home.
I read this article at: HERE
Got Real Estate Questions? The Caton Team is here to help.
We strive to be more than just Realtors – we are also your home resource. If you have any real estate questions, concerns, need a referral or some guidance – we are here for you. Contact us at your convenience – we are but a call, text or click away!
The Caton Team believes, in order to be successful in the San Fransisco | Peninsula | Bay Area | Silicon Valley Real Estate Market we have to think and act differently. We do this by positioning our clients in the strongest light, representing them with the utmost integrity, while strategically maneuvering through negotiations and contracts. Together we make dreams come true.
A mother and daughter-in-law team with over 35 years of combined, local Real Estate experience and knowledge – would’t you like The Caton Team to represent you? Let us know how we can be of service. Contact us any time.
Call | Text | Sabrina 650.799.4333 | Susan 650.796.0654
Email | Info@TheCatonTeam.com
The Caton Team – Susan & Sabrina
A Family of Realtors
Effective. Efficient. Responsive.
What can we do for you?
The Caton Team Testimonials | The Caton Team Blog – The Real Estate Beat | TheCatonTeam.com | Facebook | Instagram | HomeSnap | Pintrest | LinkedIN Sabrina | LinkedIN Susan
Want Real Estate Info on the Go? Download our FREE Real Estate App: Mobile Real Estate by The Caton Team
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices – Drysdale Properties
DRE # |Sabrina 01413526 | Susan 01238225 | Team 70000218 |Office 01499008
The Caton Team does not receive compensation for any posts. Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Third party information not verified.