One of the best and biggestest investments in your home – is the flooring. Take care of your hardwood today and it will last generations. If you have any updating questions – curious which updates bring more vaule to your home? Contact The Caton Team – we’re happy to help! -Sabrina
How To Care for Your Hardwood Floors
Hardwood is one of the oldest flooring materials and is still considered one of the best. Hardwood floors are natural, beautiful, and durable, especially if you maintain them. With good maintenance, they will last longer, look better, and add value to your home.
Make daily dusting and sweeping, with a scratch-free cloth or broom, part of your daily maintenance routine. When you need to vacuum hardwood, be sure to use the soft brush attachment, never the rotating brush roll, or as it’s known in older vacuums, the beater bar. Then, as needed, mop with the wood floor cleaning product recommended for your floor’s type and finish.
Wood floors need a protective finish. Unfinished wood floors require finishing with a protective sealer immediately after installation. Factory-finished floors are sanded, sealed, and ready to use right out of the box. If you have solid hardwood, you may need to add a finishing coat every few years, or eventually sand and refinish decades down the road. If you have engineered hardwood, which is a veneer, sanding and refinishing may be an option one-time only, depending on the thickness of the veneer.
Tips for Cleaning Your Hardwood Floors
- Use only wood floor care products; never use vinyl or tile cleaning products.
- If you prefer a natural cleaner, like vinegar and water, do your research. Your floors must be well sealed, and the vinegar-to-water pH balance can’t be too acidic, and you must wipe the floors dry immediately.
- Most experts advise that you don’t use water to wet or steam mop wood floors.
Tips for Protecting Hardwood Floors
- Use felt or rubber protectors on the bottom of furniture legs and never drag furniture on wood flooring.
- Use area rugs in high traffic areas, in front of exterior doorways, as well as in front of the kitchen sink.
- Remove shoes at the door, especially high heels or cleats.
- Slow down fading by keeping direct sunlight off your floors. Use window coverings to redirect, diffuse, or block UV light. UV resistant finishes are also available.
- Keep dogs’ nails trimmed, or restrict from hardwood areas.
- Wipe up spills immediately; standing liquid can damage wood floors.
Tips for Scratches and Squeaks
- For deep or surface scratches, touch-up using a stain stick for wood that matches your floor’s finish.
- For squeaky floors, if possible, it’s best to repair from underneath and may need to be done by a professional. There are products that include a combination of lubricant and powder, which you can try using on the surface between the planks, but effectiveness may be limited.
- Did you know that hardwood floors are among the many home improvements that will pay homeowners back over the long run?
- Wondering about other remodeling projects to add value to your home? Learn about the best remodeling investments you can make.
- On a budget? Try these inexpensive, DIY home improvement projects to give your home a fresh look.
I read this article at: HERE
Got Real Estate Questions? The Caton Team is here to help.
We strive to be more than just Realtors – we are also your home resource. If you have any real estate questions, concerns, need a referral or some guidance – we are here for you. Contact us at your convenience – we are but a call, text or click away!
The Caton Team believes, in order to be successful in the San Fransisco | Peninsula | Bay Area | Silicon Valley Real Estate Market we have to think and act differently. We do this by positioning our clients in the strongest light, representing them with the utmost integrity, while strategically maneuvering through negotiations and contracts. Together we make dreams come true.
A mother and daughter-in-law team with over 35 years of combined, local Real Estate experience and knowledge – would’t you like The Caton Team to represent you? Let us know how we can be of service. Contact us any time.
Call | Text | Sabrina 650.799.4333 | Susan 650.796.0654
Email | Info@TheCatonTeam.com
The Caton Team – Susan & Sabrina
A Family of Realtors
Effective. Efficient. Responsive.
What can we do for you?
The Caton Team Testimonials | The Caton Team Blog – The Real Estate Beat | TheCatonTeam.com | Facebook | Instagram | HomeSnap | Pintrest | LinkedIN Sabrina | LinkedIN Susan
Want Real Estate Info on the Go? Download our FREE Real Estate App: Mobile Real Estate by The Caton Team
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices – Drysdale Properties
DRE # |Sabrina 01413526 | Susan 01238225 | Team 70000218 |Office 01499008
The Caton Team does not receive compensation for any posts. Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Third party information not verified.
You must be logged in to post a comment.